I know that lots of people, well some people, (okay, a few people) might be wondering what the heck I am up to whilst Chris rebuilds this house almost singlehandedly. So obviously, I am the backroom ‘boy’, Brains to Chris’s Scott Tracy, Ernie to Chris’s Eric – well, you get the picture … so here are just a few of the projects I have undertaken in between being the brickie’s mate, tea maker and general dogsbody.
Primed, sanded and painted the staircase with Ronseal Lavender Wood matte. I also had to hold the staircase in place while Chris attached it, measured it and levelled it. Phew!
Bargain chest of drawers from the British Red Cross shop now being prepared for a re-vamp.
Carcass painted with Rustoleum ‘Antique White’ and finished with Rustoleum wax.
Designed and painted the new woodstore. Also re-painted the fences ready for winter. Second coat now done.
Oh yes – and stacked the wood-store!
Made more bunting for Hannah’s school!
Continued to ‘cultivate’ the garden – lovely colours.
Made a bedspread for the Heather Parry Guest Suite. Guess what the colour scheme is going to be?
Charity shop find – £25.00. This will be the new dressing table in the HPGS.
I rubbed down and painted the desk with Dulux Timeless Classics – ‘Pressed Thistle’. An easy to use paint, very low odour, quick to dry and a really good finish.
Apologies for what appears to be a blob on the top drawer – I think it was a dirty lens!
So – now painted and ready to put into the HPGS.
Finishing touches – the completed bedspread made with spare fabric from the curtains (on the right of the photo) and with 5 Fat Quarters from Boyes in Brigg. I backed the bedspread with the curtain lining from a charity shop curtain that I am using to renovate a chair, shamelessly blagged from my sister. Well, it was not doing much in her basement! Oh I almost forgot – the little sock monkey is a must for any cosy bedroom – ask Matthew, he loves his red stripy sock monkey. The curtains were made from cheap Christmas fabric and lined with left over blackout fabric when I made Daisy’s curtains.
Typical ‘Habitat’ look. Both chair arms need stripping back and varnishing or painting. The decision is still being made.
Blagged chair from my sister – well used, I’m sure you’ll agree! The red curtain bought from the charity shop will be the new cushion cover with some rather dashing black and white polka dot buttons! When completed it will be part of the Grandchildren’s bedroom (supposedly my sewing room – hmmm, fat chance)
Almost there – I have washed all the woodwork and made the slip cover for the cushion but in discussion with Renee it was decided that more padding was needed before I assembled the chair – and possibly to paint the frame in charcoal.
A birthday present made for my bestie, Renee, from the charity curtain that I am using for the chair cover! Waste not want not. Such fun to make and Renee loved it – result!
Chris and I made this knitting bag for my Mother as a Christmas present some 33 years ago (huh, nothing lasts) but it came back to us for a quick renovation. Now as good as new!
You might recognise the fabric – yup, used as part of the HPGS bedspread but this was a wedding gift filled with gardening paraphernalia.
Next project – to create a focal point for our sitting room (in time for Christmas). I already have the furniture charity shop on high alert for a plain fireplace surround and I think we could make the hearth from our removed, old floor joists. Watch this space!
So, these are just some of the projects that I have undertaken as Chris has totally rebuilt the house! I feel this is a fair distribution of labour. We are now on serious countdown as James and Mariery arrive on Saturday 28th November – 11 days and counting!!!